- 6 cups torn leaf lettuce
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 3 bacon strips, diced
- two tablespoons dark wine vinegar
- 2-1/4 teaspoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons water
- Pepper and salt to taste
- 1 hard-cooked egg, sliced
- Inside a large salad bowl, combine the lettuce and onion put aside.
- Place bacon on the microwave-safe plate lined with sponges. Cover with another paper towel microwave on high for five-7 minutes or until crisp. Utilizing a slotted spoon, remove bacon to sponges.
- In a tiny microwave-safe dish, combine 1-1/2 teaspoons bacon drippings, vinegar, sugar and water. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 45 seconds or until sugar is dissolved stir until smooth.
- Pour over lettuce sprinkle with pepper and salt. Add bacon and egg toss to coat. Yield: 6 servings.
Editor's Note: This recipe was tested inside a 1,100-watt microwave.
Initially printed as Wilted Lettuce Salad in Quick Cooking September/October 2002, p15