by MICHELLE KERNS Last Updated: February 23, 2014
Michelle Kerns writes for various print an internet-based publications and focuses on literature and science topics. She's offered like a book columnist since 2008 and is part of the nation's Book Critics Circle. Kerns studied British literature and neurology at UC Davis.
How you can Prepare a Butterball Poultry Breast inside a Crock-Pot Photo Credit Ron Bennett/Demand Media
The typical American eats over 13 pounds of poultry every year. That's two times around the quantity of poultry consumed per person yearly within the late 1980s. Turkey's rise in recognition is related to the diet: Poultry -- particularly the white-colored breast meat -- is lower in total fat, saturated fats and cholesterol. While poultry breasts are usually roasted, a sluggish oven is a straightforward, hands-off method of getting moist, flavorful meat without tying in the oven. You are able to prepare Butterball's 3-pound boneless poultry breast or even the company's 3- to 9-pound bone-in poultry breast within the slow oven.
Take away the poultry breast from the outer packaging, departing the string netting that covers a boneless breast in position. Use sponges to pat the meat dry.
Spray the whole outdoors from the poultry breast with nonstick cooking spray, or brush it gently with essential olive oil. Season every side of the meat with salt, pepper and the selection of herbs or spices.
Put the poultry breast within the slow oven, skin-side up. Pour in water, broth, wine or perhaps a combination, thinking about 1/2 cup of liquid for any 3-pound poultry breast.
Place the slow cooker's lid safely in position. Use the reduced setting and permit the poultry breast to prepare for four hrs.
Make sure that the interior temperature from the center and both sides from the poultry breast has arrived at 140 levels F. Make use of a meat thermometer to get this done.
Return the slow cooker's lid. Prepare the poultry breast for roughly one or two more hrs, or before the internal temperature from the meat has arrived at 170 levels F.
Take away the poultry breast in the oven and put it on the cutting board. Let it rest, tented gently with foil, for around fifteen minutes before taking out the skin and string netting, slicing and serving.
- Don't attempt to slow-prepare a poultry breast that's still frozen or that is not completely thawed. Butterball cautions that poultry breast that has not arrived at an interior temperature of 140 levels F after four hrs isn't safe to consume.
- Store leftover cooked poultry breast meat within the refrigerator for approximately 72 hours or perhaps in the freezer for approximately 2 yrs.
- You are able to strain and thicken the accrued liquid in the slow oven for a gravy for that poultry breast.
- The Right Kitchen recommends preparing a poultry breast within the slow oven, then while using meat like a quick accessory for salads, casseroles, sandwiches and pasta dishes.
Things You Will Need
- Bone-in or boneless poultry breast, thawed
- Nonstick cooking spray or essential olive oil
- Seasoning, for example salt, pepper, spices and herbs
- Liquid, for example broth or wine
- Meat thermometer
- Cutting board
- Aluminum foil