- 1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at 70 degrees
- 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 4 extra-large eggs, at 70 degrees
- 1/3 cup grated lemon zest (six to eight large lemons)
- 3 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sodium bicarbonate
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup freshly squeezed fresh lemon juice, divided
- 3/4 cup buttermilk, at 70 degrees
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla flavoring
- For that glaze:
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 3 1/two tablespoons freshly squeezed fresh lemon juice
Preheat the oven to 350 levels F. Grease and flour 2 (8 1/2 by 4 1/4 by 2 1/2-inch) loaf pans. You may even line the underside with parchment paper, if preferred.
Cream the butter and a pair of cups granulated sugar within the bowl of the electric mixer fitted using the paddle attachment, until light and fluffy, about a few minutes. Using the mixer on medium speed, add some eggs, 1 at any given time, and also the lemon zest .
Sift together the flour, baking powder, sodium bicarbonate. and salt inside a bowl. In another bowl, combine 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice, the buttermilk. and vanilla. Add some flour and buttermilk mixtures alternately towards the batter. beginning and ending using the flour. Divide the batter evenly between your pans, smooth the tops, and bake for forty-five minutes to at least one hour, until a cake tester arrives clean.
Combine 1/2 cup granulated sugar with 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice in a tiny saucepan and prepare over low heat before the sugar dissolves. Once the cakes are carried out, let it awesome for ten minutes. Take away the cakes in the pans and hang them on the rack set on the tray or sheet pan spoon the lemon syrup them over. Permit the cakes to awesome completely.
For that glaze, combine the confectioners' sugar and also the fresh lemon juice inside a bowl, mixing having a wire whisk until smooth. Pour within the tops from the cakes and permit the glaze to drizzle lower the edges.
2001, Barefoot Contessa Parties. All Legal rights Reserved