- 1 large red onion 1/2 chopped, 1/2 sliced
- 1 1 -inch piece ginger root, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic clove, smashed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Kosher salt
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil, plus much more for brushing
- 3/4 pound ground chicken
- 1/4 cup plain low-fat yogurt, plus much more for garnish
- 1/4 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, plus much more for garnish
- 4 pocketless pitas
- Chopped cashews and/or hot sauce, for garnish (optional)
Puree the chopped onion inside a mixer using the ginger root. garlic clove, coriander. cumin. 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 cup water.
Heat the vegetable oil inside a skillet over medium-high temperature. Add some sliced onion and prepare until golden, four to five minutes. Add some spice paste and prepare, stirring, until slightly dry, eight to ten minutes. Add some chicken and prepare until opaque, splitting up the meat. Mix the yogurt with 1/4 cup water, increase the pan and simmer over medium-low heat before the meat is cooked through, two to three more minutes. Add some peas and cilantro and season with salt.
Meanwhile, heat another skillet over high temperature. Brush the pitas with oil, season with salt and toast within the skillet, about one minute per side. Divide the chicken mixture one of the pitas. Top with increased yogurt and cilantro. Garnish with cashews and/or hot sauce. if preferred.
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos
Recipe thanks to Food Network Magazine