MAKES: 6 servings
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 tablespoon plus 1-1/2 teaspoons peanut oil, divided
- 3/4 cup chopped organic mushrooms
- 1 can (8 ounces) water chestnuts, drained and diced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- two tablespoons grain vinegar
- two tablespoons reduced-sodium teriyaki sauce
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic clove powder
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1-1/2 cups shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup julienned eco-friendly onions
- 12 Bibb or Boston lettuce leaves
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted
2 each: 230 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fats), 63mg cholesterol, 278mg sodium, 12g carb (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 26g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 fat.
- Inside a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, prepare chicken in 1 tablespoon oil for several minutes drain. Add some mushrooms, water chestnuts and ginger root prepare 4-6 minutes longer or until chicken is not pink. Drain and hang aside.
- In a tiny bowl, whisk the vinegar, teriyaki sauce, soy sauce, garlic clove powder, red pepper flakes and remaining oil. Stir within the carrots, onions and chicken mixture.
- Spoon onto lettuce leaves sprinkle with almonds. If preferred, fold sides of lettuce over filling and roll-up. Yield: 6 servings.
Initially printed as Chicken Lettuce Wraps see how to avoid & Tasty April/May 2006, p39