- 8 skinless, boneless chicken thighs (a couple of 1/2 pounds)
- Juice of just one lemon
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup plus two tablespoons plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 small red onion, roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic clove, smashed
- 1 2 -inch piece ginger root, peeled and roughly chopped
- 4 teaspoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 3/4 teaspoons hot paprika
- two tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Cooked grain, for serving (optional)
Preheat the broiler. Make shallow cuts within the chicken thighs having a sharp knife. Chuck the ball chicken using the fresh lemon juice and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt inside a large bowl.
Pulse two tablespoons yogurt, the vegetable oil, onion, garlic clove, ginger root, tomato paste, coriander. cumin, 11/2 teaspoons paprika and 1/2 teaspoon salt inside a mixer to create a paste. Chuck the ball chicken within the mixture and let marinate fifteen minutes.
Put the chicken on the foil-lined broiler pan. Broil, turning once, until slightly charred along with a thermometer placed in to the center registers 165 levels F, five to six minutes per side.
Meanwhile, combine the rest of the 1/2 cup yogurt and 1/4 teaspoon paprika, the cilantro along with a pinch of salt inside a bowl. Top the chicken using the yogurt sauce and serve with grain, if preferred.
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos