- 1-1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup plus two tablespoons baking cacao, divided
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1-1/2 teaspoons almond extract, divided
- 3 eggs, gently beaten
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- In a tiny bowl, combine the cracker crumbs, 1/4 cup sugar, two tablespoons cacao and butter. Press onto the foot of a 9-in. springform pan chill.
- Inside a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, sour cream, and remaining sugar until smooth. Beat in 1 teaspoon extract and remaining cacao. Add eggs beat on low speed just until combined.
- Pour into crust. Bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes or before the center is nearly set. Awesome on the wire rack for ten minutes. Carefully operate a knife around fringe of pan to release awesome one hour longer. Refrigerate overnight. Remove sides of pan.
- Inside a large bowl, beat cream until it starts to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar and remaining extract beat until stiff peaks form. Spread evenly over cheesecake. Sprinkle with almonds. Store in refrigerator. Yield: 12 servings.
Initially printed as Chocolate Almond Cheesecake in Taste of Home June/This summer 1995, p31