- 1 pound lean hamburger
- 1 (10-ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup, divided
- 1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 1 egg, gently beaten
- 1/2 cup frozen chopped onions
- 1 teaspoon steak seasoning (suggested: Montreal)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- two tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/4 cup cognac
- 1 (8-ounce) package sliced organic mushrooms
- 2 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 1 (1.2-ounce) packet brown gravy mix
- Cooked grain, for serving
Inside a large bowl, combine beef, 1/4 can mushroom soup, bread crumbs. egg, onions, and steak seasoning. Mix completely and shape into 4 oblong patties.
Heat oil and 1 tablespoon butter in large skillet over medium-high temperature. Brown patties on sides and transfer to some plate.
Add remaining butter and cognac (remove pan from heat when adding cognac.) Saute mushrooms for 7 to eight minutes. Add beef stock and whisk in gravy mix until smooth. Stir in remaining mushroom soup.
Return patties to skillet and spoon gravy over top. Cover pan and simmer for 25 to 25 minutes.
Serve Salisbury Steaks and Mushroom Gravy over hot cooked grain.