- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla flavoring
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla flavoring
- three or four tablespoons 2% milk
- Red food coloring, optional
- Preheat oven to 375. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt progressively beat into creamed mixture.
- Utilizing a cookie press fitted having a heart disk press dough one in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake until set although not brown, 6-8 minutes. Awesome on wire racks.
- Beat butter, confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough milk to achieve a distributing consistency. If preferred, add food coloring to some portion or all the frosting. Frost cookies. Yield: about 6-1/2 dozen.
Initially printed as Butter Cookies in Taste of Home Feb/March 1997, p67