- two tablespoons butter
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 jigger dry sherry, optional
- 2 cans beef consomme, available on broth and soups aisle or beef broth
- 1 1/2 pounds deli sliced roast beef
- Grill seasoning blend for steak, for example Montreal Steak Seasoning Blend, or, coarse pepper and salt
- 4 torpedo sandwich rolls, split
Inside a large, shallow skillet over moderate heat, melt butter. Add shallots to butter and saute 2 minutes. Add flour to butter and shallot and prepare one minute longer. Whisk in sherry and prepare liquid out. Whisk in consomme inside a slow stream. Bring sauce to some bubble and permit to simmer over low heat until prepared to serve sandwiches.
Pile meat loosely across your cutting board or perhaps a large work surface. Season meat with grill seasoning or salt and pepper. Put down 4 ramekins or small soup cups for dipping sauce, 4 dinner plates and 4 split torpedo rolls. To put together, using a set of kitchen tongs, dip meat into loose au jus sauce and pile into rolls. Set ramekins or cups with extra dipping sauce with the sandwiches.
Recipe thanks to Rachael Ray