- 2 medium navel oranges
- 1/2 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sodium bicarbonate
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Having a sharp knife, score each orange into quarters remove peel. Use knife to get rid of white-colored pith from peel and fruit discard. Quarter oranges and put inside a blender. Add peel cover and process until smooth (mixture should measure 3/4 cup).
- Inside a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in milk and 6 tablespoons orange mixture. Combine the flour, baking powder, sodium bicarbonate and salt progressively increase creamed mixture until blended.
- Visit rounded teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 350 for 10-13 minutes or until set and edges are gently browned. Remove to wire racks to awesome.
- For frosting, in a tiny bowl, combine confectioners' sugar, butter and an adequate amount of the rest of the orange mixture to attain distributing consistency. Frost cookies. Yield: about 4 dozen.
Initially printed as Frosted Orange Cookies in Quick Cooking May/June 2002, p16