Hearty Pork Loaf combines ground pork, pork and beef in tender meaty slices. States Luella Feck of Bexley, Ohio. "I volunteered to prepare for any regular group meeting of seniors. After I began, there have been 35 attending. The people are as much as over 100, thanks partly to dishes such as this tasty pork loaf."
MAKES: 24 servings
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1-1/2 cups crushed saltines (about 35 crackers)
- 1-1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 pounds ground fully cooked pork
- 1 pound hamburger
- 1 pound ground pork
- SWEET TANGY SAUCE:
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 2-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- two tablespoons ground mustard
- In an exceedingly large bowl, combine the eggs, milk, cracker crumbs, onion salt, pepper and salt. Crumble meat over mixture mix well.
- Shape into three loaves, about 9-in. x 3-1/2 in. x 1-3/4 in. each. Transfer to greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350 for 1-to-1-1/4 hrs or until a meat thermometer reads 160.
- Meanwhile, inside a saucepan, combine the sauce ingredients. Prepare and stir until sugar is dissolved. Serve with pork loaves. Yield: 3 loaves and 4 cups sauce (8 servings each).
Initially printed as Hearty Pork Loaf in Taste of Home Feb/March 2001, p54