- 1 1/two tablespoons unsalted butter, plus much more as needed
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 cup draft beer (preferably porter)
- 2 ounces deli-sliced corned beef, reduce strips
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
- 1 1/2 cups grated jarlsberg cheese (about 6 ounces)
- 4 slices marble rye bread
Melt 1/2 tablespoon butter inside a large skillet over medium-high temperature. Add some onion and sprinkle using the sugar. 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste. Prepare, stirring from time to time, until soft and golden, about ten minutes. Add some beer and continue cooking, stirring from time to time, before the onions are tender and also the liquid is slightly syrupy, 8 more minutes. Remove in the heat and stir within the corned beef, Worcestershire sauce and mustard.
Divide 1 / 2 of the cheese between 2 bread slices top using the corned beef mixture, and also the remaining cheese and a pair of bread slices.
Melt the rest of the 1 tablespoon butter inside a large skillet over medium heat. Add some sandwiches and prepare, pressing from time to time having a spatula. before the bread is toasted and also the cheese melts, about 4 minutes per side, adding more butter towards the pan as needed.
Photograph by Mike Kaplan