- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar, divided
- 4 cups shredded cabbage
- 3-1/2 cups frozen waffle-cut fries
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound sliced deli pastrami
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- 8 slices Italian bread (3/4 inch thick), toasted
- 2 medium tomato plants, thinly sliced
- Inside a large bowl, combine 1/4 cup from the sugar and vinegar add cabbage and toss to coat. Cover and let are a symbol of half an hour. Meanwhile, bake fries based on package directions.
- Drain cabbage. In a tiny bowl, combine the salt, celery seed, pepper and remaining sugar and vinegar pour over cabbage and toss to coat.
- With an ungreased baking sheet, divide pastrami into four stacks top each with cheese. Bake at 450 for just two-3 minutes or until cheese is melted. Place pastrami on four toast slices. Layer with fries, coleslaw, tomato slices and remaining toast. Serve immediately. Yield: 4 servings.
Initially printed as Ultimate Pastrami Sandwiches in Country Lady April/May 2012
1 sandwich: 586 calories, 17g fat (7g saturated fats), 80mg cholesterol, 1655mg sodium, 72g carb (18g sugars, 6g fiber), 36g protein.