- 3 pounds stew meat (beef, pork, and/or lamb)
- 2 teaspoons peanut oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 (12-ounce) bottle of beer, preferably a medium ale
- 1 (16-ounce) container salsa
- 30 tortilla chips
- 2 chipotle peppers canned in adobo sauce, chopped
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce (in the chipotle peppers in adobo)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
Put the meat inside a large mixing bowl and toss using the peanut oil and salt. Put aside.
Heat a 6-quart heavy-bottomed pressure oven over high temperature until hot. Add some meat in three or four batches and brown on every side, roughly 2 minutes per batch. Once each batch is browned, put the meat inside a clean large bowl.
Once all the meat is browned, add some beer towards the oven to deglaze the pot.
Scrape the browned bits from the foot of the pot. Add some meat to pressure oven combined with the salsa, tortilla chips, chipotle peppers, adobo sauce, tomato paste, chili powder. and ground cumin and stir to mix. Lock the lid in position based on the manufacturer's instructions. Once the steam starts to hiss from the oven, lessen the heat to low, sufficient to keep a really weak whistle. Prepare for twenty five minutes. Remove in the heat and thoroughly release the steam. Serve immediately.
Recipe thanks to Alton Brown, 2004