- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin essential olive oil, 1 turn from the pan
- two tablespoons butter
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 2 ribs celery with vegetables, finely chopped (save your time and buy celery already washed, trimmed and reduce sticks, this will make chopping fast work)
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- Pepper and salt
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons chicken seasoning or 2 teaspoons ground thyme
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce, in order to taste
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 (28-ounce) can cooked pumpkin puree
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 crisp apple, for example McIntosh or Granny Cruz, finely chopped
- 1/4 red onion, finely chopped
- two tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup dried sweetened cranberries, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Heat a medium soup pot over medium to medium high temperature. Add some oil and melt the butter. Add bay, celery, and onion. Season the veggies with pepper and salt. Prepare six or seven minutes, until tender. Add flour, chicken seasoning and hot sauce, to taste, then prepare flour one minute. Whisk in chicken stock and produce liquid to some bubble. Whisk in pumpkin in large spoonfuls to include it in to the broth. Simmer soup ten minutes to thicken a little adding in cream and nutmeg. Reduce heat to low and warm until prepared to serve.
While soup cooks, assemble the relish: combine apple, onion, fresh lemon juice. cranberries, chili powder, honey and cinnamon .
Adjust seasonings in soup and relish and serve soup in shallow bowls having a couple of spoonfuls of relish.