- 3 tablespoons good essential olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped red onions (2 onions)
- 2 carrots, unpeeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic clove (3 cloves)
- 4 pounds vine-ripened tomato plants, coarsely chopped (5 large)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/4 cup packed chopped fresh tulsi leaves, plus julienned tulsi leaves, for garnish
- 3 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- Croutons, for garnish
Heat the essential olive oil inside a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium-low heat. Add some onions and carrots and saute for around ten minutes, until very tender. Add some garlic clove and prepare for one minute. Add some tomato plants. sugar, tomato paste. tulsi, chicken stock. salt, and pepper and stir well. Bring the soup to some boil, lower heat, and simmer. uncovered, for thirty to forty minutes, before the tomato plants are extremely tender.
Add some cream towards the soup and process it via a food mill right into a bowl, discarding just the dry pulp that's left. Reheat the soup over low heat just until hot and serve with julienned tulsi leaves and/or croutons.
2008, Barefoot Contessa To Basics, All Legal rights Reserved