- 1 cup uncooked penne pasta
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- 1/2 pound smoked poultry sausage, reduce 1/4-inch slices
- two tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic clove powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1-1/4 cups fat-free milk
- 1/3 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Prepare pasta inside a large saucepan based on package directions, adding the vegetables over the past 6 minutes of cooking.
- Meanwhile, inside a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, brown sausage remove from skillet and warm.
- In a tiny bowl, combine the flour, garlic clove powder, mustard and pepper flakes progressively whisk in milk until smooth. Add milk mixture towards the skillet, stirring to release browned bits from pan. Provide a boil prepare and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- Drain pasta and vegetables stir in to the pan. Add cheese and reserved sausage prepare and stir until cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
Initially printed as Spicy Sausage and Penne in Healthy Cooking June/This summer 2009, p59
1 cup: 228 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fats), 42mg cholesterol, 650mg sodium, 27g carb (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 18g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 lean meat.