MAKES: 4 servings
- 3 medium sweet taters, peeled and reduce 2-inch pieces
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened pineapple tidbits
- 2 pounds bone-in chicken white meat halves, skin removed
- two tablespoons Caribbean jerk seasoning
- 1/4 cup dried minced onion
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh gingerroot
- two tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon grated lime peel
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, crushed
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs
- Hot cooked grain
- Place taters inside a 4- or 5-qt. slow oven. Add water chestnuts and cranberries. Drain pineapple, reserving juice add pineapple to slow oven. Top with chicken. Sprinkle jerk seasoning over chicken.
- Combine the onion, ginger root, Worcestershire sauce, lime peel, cumin seeds and reserved juice. Pour within the chicken. Top with thyme sprigs.
- Cover and prepare on low for five-6 hrs or until chicken and vegetables are tender. Serve with grain. Yield: 4 servings.
Initially printed as Jamaica-Me-Crazy Chicken Tropicale in Taste of Home August/September 2010, p57