- 1 medium mind red cabbage, shredded
- 1 medium apple, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary oil, crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 whole cloves
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- two tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Place cabbage and apple inside a 6-qt. stockpot. Add sugar, salt, rosemary oil and pepper toss to mix. Let stand 40 minutes to permit juices to produce from cabbage.
- Place bay leaves and cloves on the double thickness of cheesecloth. Gather corners of fabric to surround seasonings tie safely with string. Stir into cabbage mixture.
- Provide a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat simmer, covered, 30-35 minutes or until cabbage is tender, stirring from time to time. Stir in vinegar and fresh lemon juice heat through. Discard spice bag. Yield: 6 servings.
Initially printed as Sweet and Sour Red Cabbage in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2013, p55
3/4 cup: 145 calories, 0g fat (0g saturated fats), 0mg cholesterol, 334mg sodium, 36g carb (30g sugars, 3g fiber), 2g protein.