- 2 1/2 pounds fresh tomato plants (mixture of fresh heirlooms, cherry, vine and plum tomato plants)
- 6 cloves garlic clove, peeled
- 2 small yellow onions, sliced
- Vine cherry tomato plants for garnish, optional
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin essential olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh tulsi leaves, optional
- 3/4 cup heavy cream, optional
Preheat oven to 450 levels F.
Wash, core and cut the tomato plants into halves. Spread the tomato plants, garlic clove cloves and onions onto a baking tray. If using vine cherry tomato plants for garnish, add them also, departing them whole as well as on the vine. Drizzle with 1/2 cup of essential olive oil and season with pepper and salt. Roast for twenty to thirty minutes, or until caramelized.
Remove roasted tomato plants, garlic clove and onion in the oven and transfer to some large stock pot (put aside the roasted vine tomato plants later on). Add 3/4 from the chicken stock, bay leaves, and butter. Provide a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until liquid has reduced with a third.
Wash and dry tulsi leaves, if using, and increase the pot. Make use of an immersion blender to puree the soup until smooth. Return soup to low heat, add cream and adjust consistency with remaining chicken stock, if required. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper. Garnish in bowl with three or four roasted vine cherry tomato plants along with a a little heavy cream.
Recipe thanks to Tyler Florence