- 2 small fennel bulbs
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- two tablespoons good essential olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 pounds russet taters (4 large taters)
- 2 cups plus two tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 1/2 cups grated Gruyère cheese (1/2 pound)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Preheat the oven to 350 levels F.
Butter within a ten-by-15-by-2-inch (10-cup) baking dish .
Take away the stalks in the fennel and cut the bulbs in two lengthwise. Take away the cores and thinly slice the bulbs crosswise, making roughly 4 glasses of sliced fennel. Saute the fennel and onions within the essential olive oil and butter on medium-low heat for fifteen minutes, until tender.
Peel the taters, then thinly slice them by hands or having a mandoline. Mix the sliced taters inside a large bowl with 2 glasses of cream, 2 glasses of Gruyère, salt, and pepper. Add some sauteed fennel and onion and blend well.
Pour the taters in to the baking dish. Press lower to smooth the taters. Combine the rest of the two tablespoons of cream and 1/2 cup of Gruyère and sprinkle on top. Bake for 1 1/2 hrs, before the taters are extremely tender and also the top is browned and bubbly. Let it looking for ten minutes and serve.