Diana Rattray is definitely an enthusiastic home prepare and foodie with a love for Southern cooking and Southern food history. Find out more
Updated April 26, 2016.
This hearty pork and bean soup is the type of soup you crave on the cold fall or winter day. It's an easy preparation using peas and diced pork together with chopped vegetables. The taste originates from the lengthy simmering. Give a pork bone or pork hock for that extra smoky flavor. It's an excellent method to use leftover pork!
I love hot baked cornbread using the soup, but biscuits slathered with butter or thick slices of crusty homemade bread could be equally scrumptious.
It's an excellent lunch soup, too. Serve it in cups with sandwiches or perhaps a simple thrown salad.
- 8 cups water
- 1 pound Great Northern beans or navy beans
- 2 cups diced cooked pork
- 1 pork bone or pork hock, optional
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, in order to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 carrot, chopped
- one or two ribs celery, chopped or sliced thinly
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, in order to taste
Increase grocery list
Bring water and beans to some boil inside a large saucepan or Nederlander oven boil for just two minutes. Take away the beans from heat, cover, and let are a symbol of one hour.
Add some pork, pork bone, or hock towards the beans, together with onion, pepper, bay leaf, carrot and celery towards the beans. Provide a boil reduce heat, cover, and simmer until beans are tender (skim foam from top), about 1 1/2 to two hrs. If soup is simply too thick, add a bit more water.
Continue Studying Below
Should you used a pork bone or pork hocks, remove them from the soup and take away the meat. Dice or shred the meat and give it back towards the soup.
Add some tomato sauce and salt, to taste simmer for around fifteen minutes longer. Take away the bay leaf .
Tips and Variations
- Should you soak the beans overnight, use 8 glasses of water and skip the initial step of boiling the beans and allowing them to are a symbol of an hour or so.
- For many extra texture and flavor, add 1 can of diced tomato plants towards the soup combined with the tomato sauce.
- This is an excellent soup for tailgating. Transfer the finished soup to some slow oven and go along to some party or event. Ensure that it stays on low or around the warm setting for serving.