Carrying out a effective career like a chef and restaurateur, British born Elaine Lemm is really a highly respected drink and food author and lately voted among the top 50 within the United kingdom. She's an excellent desire for British Food and Irish Food, both modern and traditional.
Updated March 09, 2016.
Cock a Leekie Soup is definitely an earthy, traditional Scottish dish with lots of regional variations, most of which return so far as the 16th century. Some cooks will add chopped grilled bacon towards the soup, many will use beef stock. and lots of suggest offering stewed prunes using the finished dish as was suggested by Talleyrand. in france they gourmet. This recipe utilizes a whole chicken cooked inside a pot but there aren't any prunes, you can add them if you want them.
Whichever the selection of recipe for cock a leekie, make certain you need to do do this easy recipe in the late Ronnie Clydesdale from the Ubiquitous Nick in Glasgow it's a sure-fire champion and does stick to the traditional way of making the soup.
- 1 x 1.25K / 2lb 12oz fresh, whole the opportunity chicken
- 12 medium-sized leeks, well washed and chopped to ¾”/2cm lengths
- 12 me / 4 oz lengthy grain grain, washed
- three to four medium-sized carrots, peeled and grated
- Salt and crushed pepper
Increase grocery list
- Place the chicken and 1 / 2 of the chopped leeks inside a large stock pot or pan and canopy with cold water.
- Cover the pan having a tight-fitting lid and simmer lightly for one hour or before the chicken is falling the bone (this relies around the size and freshness from the chicken, it make take some longer by having an older chicken).
- Go ahead and take pan from the heat and take away the chicken and put on the dish or large plate and to 1 side, covered until it cools after which it may be refrigerated.
Continue Studying Below
- Strain the broth right into a fresh pan big enough to carry the rest of the ingredients. Add some grain and canopy having a tight-fitting lid and prepare for ten minutes After ten minutes, add some grated carrots and the rest of the chopped leeks. Continue cooking for 25 minutes, uncovered.
- Taste for the effectiveness of flavour within the broth and, if required, reduce even more to improve the flavour before you are pleased by using it. Season the broth with pepper and salt after you have arrived at the concentration of flavour you want.
- Chop a bit of the reserved chicken into pieces, put on hot plates and pour within the broth and vegetables to produce the finished soup.
Note: The reserved chicken may also be offered like a separate course with mealie or steamed taters along with a quite strong sauce or possibly yellow British mustard. Or, non conventional but nevertheless tasty is applying the cooked chicken inside a curry or perhaps a cake along with other leftover recipes.