- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white-colored pepper
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 large bulb fennel, reduce 1/8-inch thick lengthwise slices
- 4 cups vegetable oil
- Buttermilk Dipping Sauce, recipe follows
- Buttermilk Dipping Sauce:
- 1/2 cucumber, peeled, seeds removed and coarsely grated
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, plus 1/4 teaspoon
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic clove
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh dill
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper cayenne
Preheat the oil to 350 levels F.
Combine the flour, salt, and pepper inside a shallow bowl. Pour the buttermilk into another bowl. Dip the fennel within the buttermilk, then dredge within the seasoned flour.
Carefully devote the new oil and fry until golden brown, a couple of 1/2 minutes. Remove having a slotted spoon and drain in writing towels. Gently season with a lot more salt to taste and serve using the Buttermilk Dipping Sauce.
Buttermilk Dipping Sauce:
Put the cucumbers in a tiny bowl and sprinkle with 3/4 teaspoon from the salt. Stir to mix, then put aside when you assemble the rest of the ingredients.
In a tiny bowl combine the buttermilk. mayonnaise. garlic clove, dill, cayenne and salt and stir to mix well. Drain the cucumber in a tiny colander. then, making use of your hands, squeeze to get rid of just as much excess water as you possibly can. Add some cucumber towards the buttermilk mixture and stir to completely combine. Serve immediately or refrigerate, covered, for approximately one day ahead of time.
Yield: about 1 1/4 cups sauce
Recipe thanks to Emeril Lagasse, 2002