It has been a lengthy time since i have published any number of idli within my blog.After I prepare Idli batter, it always can last for 3-4 days so we will often have plain idli with Sambar or Chutney or prepare this Kanchi Idli,Stuffed Idli and when the batter turns sour, It's my job to make other varieties like Spicy Onion Idli. Dibba Rotti etc.
Kanchi Idli (it's also known as as Kanjeevaram Idli or Kanchipuram Idli ) is yet another form of Idli that is packed with peppercorns along with other spices like Ginger root powder(or ginger root),cumin seeds and curry leaves making the Idli taste unique and scrumptious. It originated in the city 'Kanchipuram' in Tamilnadu and and so the name. It's also offered because the prashad in Varadaraja perumal temple in Kanchi. Certainly do try it out in situation you haven't managed to get earlier.
Kanchipuram Idli Recipe:
(makes around 7-8 big round 6" idlis)
2 cups Raw Grain/Idli Grain (or Idli Rava)
1 cup white-colored whole Urad dal
2 tablespoons of Chana dal or chopped Cashew nuts
1/2 cup fresh thick Curd
a sprig of Curry leaves,roughly chopped
1 teaspoon dry Ginger root powder or 1 teaspoon chopped fresh Ginger root
2 teaspoon whole Pepper corns
2 teaspoon Cumin seeds
2 tablespoons of melted hot Ghee
1/4 teaspoon Cooking Soda(optional)
- Soak grain and urad dal individually for several-4 hrs.If you work with Idli rava soak it just for 1 hr before grinding.
- Wash the urad dal and grind to some fine batter within the wet grinder/mixie and take away it and it aside.
- Now grind the idli grain to some slight coarse batter,the consistency of batter ought to be like slight rawa textured batter.If you work with idli rawa,squeeze the idli rava and combine it with the floor urad dal and grind for five minutes.Keep your batter thick and don't add much water while grinding.
- Add this to ground urad dal batter and blend well and add enough salt and allow it to ferment for 12-14 hrs.
- Soak chana dal for just two hrs and drain them and them ready.
- Add beaten curds,cumin seeds,pepper corns,dry ginger root powder(or chopped fresh ginger root),torn curry leaves and chana dal(or cashew nuts) towards the batter and blend well.
- Add hot ghee,oil and cooking soda towards the batter and blend well.
- Grease a set deep container or idli plates (I personally use thatte idli stand) with ghee or oil and pour batter as much as 3/fourth of their depth and steam it for 15-20 mins.You may also pour the batter into small cups or tumblers and steam them.This idli takes bit longer to steam when compared with regular idlis.If you work with oven to steam idlis,make sure you take away the whistle.
- Leave the plates within the steamer/oven for five mins before you decide to unmold the idli.Operate a sharp knife round the edges and then try to unmold the idli carefully and work it into wedges.
- You may also use Raw grain(regular grain) rather of idli grain or 1 cup of every - 1 cup Idli grain and 1 cup Raw grain within the recipe.
- Regular Idli batter(prepared with Idli rava) may also be used to create Kanchi Idlis.
- You can include all of the ingredients like cumin seeds,pepper corns,ginger root powder,curry leaves and drenched chana dal(or cashewnuts) towards the batter before fermenting and add some curds,oil and hot ghee on the very next day(after fermentation) right before making idlis.