While Chinese bakeries sell sesame seed balls all year round, they're especially popular throughout the Chinese Year season.
Note: This is among the harder Chinese recipes. The issue comes during deep-frying - the sesame seed balls have to be switched constantly to grow. It requires practice to skillfully maneuver the balls within the herbal. Despite practice, you might not possess the perfectly formed, large sesame seed balls offered at Chinese bakeries.
- 6 cups oil for deep-frying, or when needed
- 1/2 cup white-colored sesame seeds, or when needed
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 - 1 1/3 cups boiling water
- 3 cups (about 400 grams) glutinous grain flour
- 1 cup (about 200 grams) red bean paste (might not be used)
Increase grocery list
1. Inside a wok or deep-sided, heavy saucepan, pre-heat the oil for deep-frying to 350 levels F. Make certain that there's a minimum of 3 inches of oil within the wok. Spread the sesame seeds over a bit of wax or parchment paper. Convey a normal size bowl water near the sesame seeds.
2. Dissolve the brown sugar in 1 cup from the boiling water.
3. Put the grain flour inside a large bowl. Create a "well" in the center of the bowl and add some dissolved sugar and water mixture.
Continue Studying Below
Stir til you have a sticky, caramel-colored dough, adding because the rest of the 1/3 cup of boiling water when needed (don't add some water otherwise needed).
4. Pinch off a bit of dough roughly how big the golf ball. Make use of your thumb to create a deep indentation within the dough and so the thumb and index fingers of both of your hands to create the dough right into a cup. Roll 1 level teaspoon of sweet red bean paste right into a ball. Put the red bean paste within the hole, and shape the dough outrageous to close. You should make certain the red bean paste is totally covered. Continue the rest of the dough.
5. Dip a ball in to the normal size bowl water (this helps the sesame seeds keep to the ball). Roll the ball within the sesame seeds. Do this again with the rest of the balls.
6. Deep-fry the sesame seed balls, a couple of at any given time, within the herbal.
7. When the sesame seeds turn light brown (a couple of minutes), use the rear of a spatula or perhaps a large ladle to lightly press the balls from the side from the wok or saucepan.
Continue squeezing tightly because the balls turn golden brown and expand to roughly 3 occasions their normal size.
8. Drain the deep-fried sesame seed balls in writing towels. Serve warm. If preparing ahead, refrigerate after which re-heat the balls until they puff up again.