Mary Berry's Victoria sandwich recipe is really a classic in the Great British Bake Off judge. Learn to make her sponge with this particular easy all-in-one way. Her large all-in-one Victoria sandwich is ideal for all baking abilities and just takes 35 mins to create as a whole. This dense Victoria sponge is sandwiched along with strawberry jam. If you wish to get this to Victoria sandwich cake a dessert cake we'd recommend using freshly whipped cream plus the jam for that filling. This cake serves between 6-8 people and can last as long as three days within an airtight container or Tupperware. Mary Berry's Victoria sandwich cake belongs to Mary Berry’s Baking Bible book. When you've perfected this classic you can test other fillings or flavours inside your sponge in addition to tinkering with decoration too.
- Serves: 6-8
- Total time: 35 mins
- Level of skill: Easy peasy
- Costs: Low as chips
For that large all-in-one Victoria sandwich:
- 225 g (8 oz) softened butter
- 225 g (8 oz) caster sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 225 g (8 oz) self-raising flour
- 2 level teaspoon baking powder
- 2 x 20cm (8in) greased and lined sandwich tins
Or an 18 cm (7 in) Victoria sandwich.
- 3 large eggs
- 175g (6oz) of softened butter
- 175g (6oz) of caster sugar
- 175g (6 oz) of self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoons of baking powder.
- 2 x 18 cm (7 in) greased and lined sandwich tins
Or a 15 cm (6 in) Victoria sandwich (see cooking).
- 2 large eggs
- 100 g (4 oz) of softened butter
- 100 g (4 oz) of caster sugar,
- 100 g (4 oz) of self-raising flour
- 1tsp of baking powder.
- 2 x 15cm (6 in) greased and lined sandwich
For that filling and topping:
- 4tbsp strawberry or raspberry jam
- Just a little caster sugar, for sprinkling
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/Fan 160°C/gas 4. Grease two sandwich tins then line the bottom of each tin with baking parchment.
- Appraise the butter, sugar, eggs, flour and baking powder right into a large bowl and beat until completely blended. Divide the mix evenly between your tins and even out.
- Bake within the pre-heated oven for around 25 minutes or until well risen and also the tops from the cakes spring when gently pressed having a finger. Leave to awesome within the tins for any couple of minutes then come out, remove the parchment and finished cooling on the wire rack.
- When completely cold, sandwich the cakes along with the jam. Sprinkle with caster sugar for everyone.
Searching for food gifts. We have got plenty more to select from!