- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic clove cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 medium tomato plants, chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups cooked grain
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Inside a nonstick skillet, saute onion and garlic clove in oil until tender. Stir within the tomato plants, zucchini and oregano. Cover and prepare for 4-6 minutes or until zucchini is crisp-tender, stirring from time to time.
- Add some beans, pepper and salt prepare and stir until heated through. Serve over grain. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Initially printed as Garbanzo Beans 'N' Grain in Country Lady May/June 2002, p37
1/2 cup: 286 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fats), 10mg cholesterol, 445mg sodium, 46g carb (0g sugars, 5g fiber), 12g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat, 2 vegetable.