Like I stated within my Mutton Biriyani publish there are many methods to make biriyani and each household has their own recipe for the similar. This recipe comes from my mother which many moons ago was printed in Vanitha magazine. Whenever I make chicken biriyani I stay with this recipe as you can easily make and could be prepared in advance and baked right before serving. So if you're intending to make biriyani on Christmas or Year do this one and tell me :)
Chicken Biriyani / Kozhi Biryani
Basmati Grain - ½ kg (3 cups)
Boiling water- 6 cups
Cinnamon sticks -2 x 1&" piece
Ghee 3 tablespoons of
For that Chicken Korma:
Chicken ½ kg
Onion, chopped 1 cup
Garlic clove 6 big cloves finely chopped
Ginger root 2 teaspoon finely chopped
Eco-friendly Chillies, slit open - 2
Coriander leaves, chopped 2 tablespoons of
Mint Leaves, chopped = 1 tablespoons of
Cinnamon sticks - thrice 1&" piece
Yogurt / Curd ½ cup
Freshly squeezed Lime juice 1 teaspoon
Grind to some fine paste:
Cashew nuts 10 nos
Khus Khus / Poppy seeds -1 tablespoons of
Fennel Seeds / Perum Jeerakom ½ teaspoon
Kismis / Raisins 1 teaspoon
Coriander Powder / Mallipodi 2tsp
Kashmiri Chilly Powder 2 teaspoon
Turmeric Powder ½ teaspoon
- Preparing the Grain: Wash grain and drain the surplus water.
- Inside a non-stick pan heat 3 tablespoons of ghee and add cinnamon, cloves and cardamom and saut for couple of seconds and add some grain. Stir continuously on high temperature for just two-3 minutes. Add boiling water and salt, stir well and prepare covered on low heat before the water continues to be absorbed. Lightly stir the grain having a fork and aside.
- Preparing the Chicken Korma: Cut chicken to medium pieces and clean correctly. Mix ground ingredients in ½ cup yogurt and marinate chicken pieces within this mixture and aside for one hour.
- Heat 4 tablespoons of ghee inside a non-stick pan. Add chopped onion, ginger root and garlic clove and saut till golden brown.
- Add cinnamon sticks, cloves and cardamom and saut well.
- Into this add marinated chicken pieces combined with the marinade, salt and eco-friendly chillies and saut well.
- Add little boiling water and prepare up until the chicken pieces cooked completely and also the gravy thickens.
- Finally add coriander leaves and mint leaves, mix well and allow the curry a pleasant boil switch off heat and aside.
- Assemble the Biriyani: Grease an ovenproof baking dish with a few ghee. Divide the grain into three portions. Spread one portion to the foot of the dish. Cover the grain with 1 / 2 of the cooked chicken. Spread another layer of grain on the top, after which cover with all of those other chicken. Finally top the chicken using the last part of grain. Drizzle some saffron or turmeric drenched in milk and ghee around the grain.
- Pre-heat oven to 180˚C and bake biriyani for 10-fifteen minutes or until heated completely.
- Garnish biriyani with a few golden fried onions, cashews and raisins. Serve with Biriyani Salad (Onion and yogurt salad), Lime pickle, dates pickle and pappad.
Biriyani Salad (Onion and Yogurt Salad)
Yogurt / Curd 1 cup
Onion 1 medium chopped
Tomato 1 medium chopped
Eco-friendly chilly 1, chopped