Rava No Sheero/Shiro
Gujarati meals are normally comprised of a variety of dishes and sides.An Ordinary gujarati lunch may have rotli,dal,bhaat(grain),shaak(vegetable),kachumber(salad),sambharo,farsaan and mithai(sweet).The dinner will contain mostly khichdi,bhakhri,chaas(buttermilk) and some kind of pickle.
I'll start my blog with posting a mithai "RAVA NO SHEERO". This generally reminds all gujaratis of "satyanarayan ni katha" ,which can't be imagined without it prasad at finish.This is made like a prasad for Navrati, on AATHAM (eight day's the navratri festival) with channa puri for kuwarikas(little women).I allow it to be for AASHTAMI each year.Ingredients:
- 1 cup Rawa.
- 1 cup Sugar.
- 1 cup Ghee.
- 3 cups Milk(Steamed).
- 2 table spoons elaichi powder(cardamom).
- 1/2 cup blanched badam(almonds),reduce thin strips.
- 1/4 cup blanched pista(pistachio),reduce thin strips.
- 1/4 cup kaju(cashewnuts).
- Mix 1 cup Rawa and 1 cup Ghee inside a pan and roast it over slow flame stir the mix continuously.
- Add sugar and milk towards the roasted rava and stir continuosly on the slow flame.
- As time passes the milk and sugar can get combined with the rawa.
- At this time add all of the dry fruits(keep some aside for Garnish) with powdered elaichi and blend well.
- Garnish using the dry fruits and serve hot.
- The milk within the recipe could be substituted with water.
- The rava within the recipe could be substituted with "ghaun no lot" (wheat flour).When the sheero is made from wheat flour it's known as "ghaun na lot no sheero".
- To obtain blanched almonds and pista soak them overnight remove their skin and cut them into thin strips.Should you forget to soak them overnight then,try taking some hot/boiling water inside a bowl,soak almonds/pista and canopy the lid from the bowl.soak them for 30 minutes.
- The amount of dry fruits could be elevated or decreased according to individual's taste.