By Elaine Lemm. British & Irish Food Expert
Carrying out a effective career like a chef and restaurateur, British born Elaine Lemm is really a highly respected drink and food author and lately voted among the top 50 within the United kingdom. She's an excellent desire for British Food and Irish Food, both modern and traditional.
Updated June 19, 2016.
An in-depth, sparkling gold, chicken consomm is wonderful not only to take a look at, the flavours are divine. This straightforward chicken consomm recipe uses the left-over chicken and carcass from Sunday lunch. Should you don't possess a carcass then use a few chicken legs and wings.
There are several lovely light chicken soups available just like a chicken and leek soup or perhaps a traditional Scottish Cock-a-Leekie too, though none quite possess the depth of flavour a consomme does. Lovely.
- 1 cooked chicken carcass, skin and fat removed
- 1 onion, skin on, halved
- 1 carrot, washed and roughly chopped
- 1 celery stalk, washed and roughly chopped
- 1 whole garlic clove clove, skin on
- Small handful fresh tarragon
- Large handful flat leaf parsley, leaves and stalks
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 egg-whites
- two to three drops gravy browning (optional)
- Pepper and salt
Increase grocery list
- Inside a large stock or saucepan big enough to carry the carcass and all sorts of vegetables, put the carcass, the rest of the ingredients except the egg white-colored, browning and pepper and salt. Cover with cold water and produce to some gentle moving boil
- Prepare to some gentle boil for 1 - 2 hrs. When the water begins to boil away, top-up, the components ought to always be just covered in water. Taste the stock following the cooking it ought to have a very good flavour of chicken along with a background hint from the vegetables and herbs. Otherwise, prepare some time longer.
Continue Studying Below
- Strain the stock via a large colander, return the liquid towards the pan, restore towards the boil and lower by approximately .
- Permit the liquid to awesome lower, then devote the refrigerator to have an hour. Skim any fat in the surface adding the egg-whites and whisk completely.
- Bring the liquid towards the boil whisking constantly. If you prefer a more dark consomm, adding the browning. Simmer lightly for fifteen minutes before the egg-whites form a crust at first glance.
- Line a sieve with a bit of clean, unused muslin or perhaps a tea towel that's been washed in plain water, (see note below). Lightly ladle the crust in to the sieve after which gradually ladle the liquid within the crust, allow here we are at the liquid to feed the crust and sieve before adding anymore. Don't PUSH THE STOCK THROUGH.
- Return the obvious liquid towards the pan and reheat to hot not boiling. This soup is better offered warm to hot (not boiling) because it intensifies the flavors.
- Otherwise serving immediately, awesome the soup and refrigerate until needed.
- Reheat the soup to hot although not boiling and divide between six hot soup plates, garnish as preferred and serve immediately.
Notes: Due to the delicate flavour of the soup, muslin or perhaps a tea towel washed in detergent will pass the flavour towards the consomm. Always employ a brand new bit of muslin individuals can.