Krystina Castella, author of In Love With Cookies, was inspired by her husband's assortment of tin toys when she designed these unique cookies. The Royal Icing is flavored with lemon, an excellent complement towards the gingerbread.
- 5 cups - all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon. - salt
- 1 teaspoon. - baking powder
- 2 teaspoon. - ground ginger root
- 1 teaspoon. - ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon. - freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon. - ground cloves
- 1 cup - (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1 cup - Domino® Brownish Sugar
- 2/3 cup - unsulphured molasses
- 1 - large egg
- 1 teaspoon. - cider vinegar
Lemon Royal Icing:
- 3 - large egg-whites
- 4 cups - Domino® Confectioners Sugar
- 2 tablespoons of. - freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Blue, yellow, red, eco-friendly, orange, and black food coloring
- chocolate dots and stars
Preheat oven to 400°F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper. Combine flour, salt, baking powder, ginger root, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves in large bowl put aside. Cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in molasses, egg, and vinegar. Progressively stir in flour mixture. Form dough into flat disk, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for half an hour. Test by pressing your finger within the dough in case your finger leaves a dent or dimple, dough isn't prepared to unveil. On floured work surface, unveil dough -inch thick. Use utility knife to chop out robot shapes. Place robots on cookie sheets 1 1/2-inch apart. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes, until light brown around edges. Transfer to rack to awesome.
Lemon Royal Icing:
Beat egg-whites, confectioners' sugar, vanilla, and water with electric mixer on low speed until blended. Increase speed to high and beat until stiff, glossy peaks form. Increase the confectioners' sugar or water to offer the preferred consistency. Color the icing with food coloring. To brighten, pipe the outlines first let dry. Fill outlines with colors, attach chocolate dots and stars, and let dry. Finally, top with piped details. Let dry.
Meal: Makes 12 large robots
Adapted with permission from In Love With Cookies, 2010 by Krystina Castella. Printed by Sterling Publishing Co. New You are able to.